Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Egg dumplings.


steamed carrots and zucchini. Dan Jiao (the Chinese egg dumplings), spinach, and pan fried gyoza (veggie filled) and Blood Oranges. Fiesta Lime Onigiri filled with some leftover BBQ Pork, Tamagoyaki (spinach in it) and mushroom.
I saw a post someone made on Cooking With Dog's Facebook page about Dan Jiao. Apparently you use scrambled egg as the gyoza wrapper. It is commonly used in soup.  I did not wish to have soup, but I thought I would give it a try. Now, the recipe I found had you put raw meat filling into the egg and said that the soup would finish cooking the meat in the filling. Since I was going to eat it as is, I made tiny little lumps of filling and cooked it first.

Now, you have to work fast or they will not seal, but first you make a small round of scrambled egg. before the top side becomes solid, add your filling on one side. Carefully flip one side over it so it creates a half moon. I found that 2 forks worked great for this. The egg being still runny will allow it to seal. Wait a minute and flip over the dumpling so that the other side can cook.

Once you get use to cold egg, these are actually quite good!

No comments:

Post a Comment